Leadership 2.0 by Travis Bradberry & Jean Greaves
Bradberry & Greaves break “leadership” into twenty-two skills grouped under two distinct categories- Core Leadership and Adaptive Leadership.
Here’s how it breaks down.
Core Leadership consists of:
- Strategy: Vision, Acumen, Planning, and Courage to Lead
- Action: Decision-Making, Communication, and Mobilizing Others
- Results: Risk Taking, Results-Focus, and Agility
Adaptive Leadership consists of:
- Emotional Intelligence: Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, and Relationship Management
- Organizational Justice: Decision Fairness, Information Sharing, and Outcome Concern
- Character: Integrity, Credibility, and Values Differences
- Development: Lifelong Learning and Developing Others
Insights & Takeaways
No single leadership skill is more important than the others- great leaders possess high levels of them all. And as leaders, we must be able to build our Core Leadership skills and our Adaptive Leadership skills in equal measure.
Why I Recommend It
We all want to continually improve our “leadership ability”. While we may know leadership when we see it, if we want to improve upon our own, where do we start? That’s why Leadership 2.0 is so powerful. The authors break “leadership” into manageable areas for improvement. An online leadership skills test pinpoints the areas to improve, and the book gives concise descriptions of each skill along with actual methods to improve.
I recommend this book for all aspiring leaders in any field.